College of Liberal Arts and Sciences students with a declared major are advised by professional staff advisors and faculty advisors after completing 24 semester hours (s.h.) of credit. For more information or to find your advisor, visit the CLAS Advising Network.
All first-semester students and students with less than 24 semester hours are advised in the Academic Advising Center. The center’s team of advisors specializes in transitioning students to academic and student life at Iowa, and help each student plan for a successful academic start at Iowa.
Academic advising questions for international studies students who have earned 24 semester hours or more can be directed to:
Meredith Mahy Gall, M.S.
International Studies Program
E121 Field House
Our departmental advisors can help you with the following:
- Advisor signatures on add/drop and other university forms
- Questions about course registration
- Questions or problems with your degree audit
- Academic planning and progress toward graduation
- Academic probation
- Review of study abroad courses for major credit
- Opportunities for Honors students and information about departmental honors
- Choosing a second area of study and other discussions regarding adding second majors, minors, and certificate programs
- Information regarding campus resources for students
- Other questions or concerns you may have
IS Course Databases:
Find courses approved for the International Studies BA by semester.
If you declared your major prior to Fall 2021, use this pre-2021 database. (For a video demonstrating how to use this database, click here.)
If you plan on declaring the Fall 2021+ major, use this Fall 2021+ database.
Advising Worksheets and Forms
The following International Studies Advising Worksheets may be used during advising or for your own academic use:
IS BA Academic Worksheet (Fall 2021+)
IS BA Academic Worksheet (2020+)
IS BA Honors Academic Worksheet (2020+)
IS BA Academic Worksheet (2012)
IS BA Honors Academic Worksheet (2012)
IS BA Academic Worksheet (pre-2012)